New Protocol for Mathematica when using Windows 95
- To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
- Subject: [mg1830] New Protocol for Mathematica when using Windows 95
- From: Victoria Bush <vbush>
- Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 23:53:21 -0400
Wolfram Research, Inc., has released an updated protocol which allows
Mathematica 2.2.3 for Windows to run with Windows 95. This update replaces
Mathematica's local protocol, and allows Mathematica to run on a Windows 95
system without the installation of TCP, which was previously necessary. The
update can be obtained from MathSource (Web: http://mathsource.wri.com/,
gopher or FTP: mathsource.wri.com, e-mail: mathsource at wri.com). The reference
number on Mathsource is 0207-841.
To install the new local protocol:
1) Copy the file MLLCL16.MLL, which you downloaded from MathSource, into
the Mathematica directory (usually called WNMATH22). Windows 95 will
ask you to confirm the replacement of the existing MLLCL16.MLL with the
new one. Click Yes to confirm the replacement.
2) Run the Mathematica front end (FRONTEND.EXE), but do not do any
3) Under the Options menu, click Kernel. Click the Protocols button, then
the Add button, then the Browse button. At this point in time, you should
see a listing of files, including the file MLLCL16.MLL. Choose that file
and click OK three times until you get back to the Kernel Options dialog
4) Click the Specific Kernel radio button. Then click the Edit button.
This brings up the Define A Kernel dialog box with the Local kernel.
Under Link Protocol, choose Local. Click OK to exit the Define A Kernel
dialog box, then click OK to exit the Kernel Options dialog box.
The protocol is now installed and may be used.
A few notes about the new protocol:
* The new protocol is compatible with Windows 3.1 and Win-OS/2 running under
Warp, as well. For those running a dual or tri-boot system with
Windows 95 and Windows 3.1 or OS/2, install the protocol under Windows 95,
and your Windows or Win-OS2 installation of Mathematica should continue to
* The new local protocol will not work under Windows NT. It also does not
work with the native OS/2 version of Mathematica. For both of those
versions, you will still need TCP installed.
* 16 and 32 bit MathLink programs should work normally through the updated
* Any questions about installing the new protocol should be directed to
the Technical Support department at Wolfram Research. Technical
Support can be contacted via e-mail at support at wri.com, by phone
at (217) 398-6500, or by fax at (217) 398-0747. Please include your
license number and a full description of the problem.
Manager, Technical Support
Wolfram Research, Inc.
support at wri.com
Prev by Date:
Re: Exponetial Fit
Next by Date:
Re: Re: Options in self-defined functions
Previous by thread:
[Q] weighted regression with Regress
Next by thread:
Re: Mathematica Graphics