Mathematica vs ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg2860] Mathematica vs ?
  • From: doug at sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov (Doug Wellington)
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 1995 01:01:12 -0500

Hello, I've only lurked for a weekend, and I looked for FAQs,
but I haven't found the answer I'm looking for...  I'm sure
this is some kind of frequent question...

Anyway, the bottom line is, why should I buy Mathematica over
any of the other packages, such as MathCad, Matlab or Maple?
What are their individual strengths?  The only think I've
heard is that MathCad is super easy, Maple supports symbolic
math, and that Matlab is powerful and portable...  Where
does Mathematica fit into this?

Ultimately, I found a package called "Calculus and Mathematica"
which seemed to be a great way of getting back up to speed with
Calculus.  It works with Mathematica.

Any help is much appreciated!

-Doug

Doug Wellington
welling at usgs.gov
doug at sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
System and Network Administrator
US Geological Survey
Tucson, AZ Project Office
(602) 670-6821 x26

According to proposed Federal guidelines, this message is a "non-record".
Hmm, I wonder if _everything_ I say is a "non-record"...