Re: mathematica and mac-slip
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg2690] Re: mathematica and mac-slip
- From: browe at netcom.com (Bill Rowe)
- Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 01:58:01 -0500
- Organization: none apparent
In article <4a0s2c$ddh at dragonfly.wri.com>, srs3 at crux3.cit.cornell.edu (Motti) wrote: >I am using Mathematica 2.102E/ on a PowerMac 8100 with Ram Doubler 1.6 >(16 ->32 meg) and PowerFPU. I also am running MacSLIP 2.0.6 and have >noticed a very curious puzzle. > >Whenever I start up the Mathematica, my SLIP will start running too. >Any ideas? Apparently, Mathematica was written to query the network for the existence of another kernel. At that time, SLIP emulators were not in widespread use so it didn't cause a problem. I understand version 2.1.3 fixes this. This is the gist of what I was told via email from Wolfram. -- "Against supidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain"