Re: mathematica and mac-slip

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg2692] Re: mathematica and mac-slip
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 01:58:22 -0500

In article <4a0s2c$ddh at dragonfly.wri.com>, srs3 at crux3.cit.cornell.edu
(Motti) wrote:

> I am using Mathematica 2.102E/ on a PowerMac 8100 with Ram Doubler 1.6
> (16 ->32 meg) and PowerFPU.  I also am running MacSLIP 2.0.6  and have
> noticed a very curious puzzle.
>
> Whenever I start up the Mathematica, my SLIP will start running too.
> Any ideas?
>
> thanks in advance for any email.

This problem is not present with the current version of
Mathematica (2.2.2). For information about upgrading contact
info at wri.com or call 1-800-441-6284.

Note that by upgrading to the current version of Mathematica
for the Macintosh you will also get a native Power Mac
version which will run much, much faster on your 8100.

In the mean time, in most implementations of SLIP (certainly
InterSLIP and MacSLIP), there is an option which will not
dial the modem if TCP has been initialized. Choosing this
option should prevent Mathematica from dialing your phone.

If you need further help with this I would suggest that you
contact Wolfram Research Technical Support (support at wri.com)
directly.

I hope this helps.

--Ian