Re: mathematica and mac-slip

  • Subject: [mg2690] Re: mathematica and mac-slip
  • From: browe at netcom.com (Bill Rowe)
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 01:58:01 -0500
  • Newsgroups: wri.mathgroup

In article <4a0s2c$ddh at dragonfly.wri.com>, srs3 at crux3.cit.cornell.edu
(Motti) wrote:

>I am using Mathematica 2.102E/ on a PowerMac 8100 with Ram Doubler 1.6
>(16 ->32 meg) and PowerFPU.  I also am running MacSLIP 2.0.6  and have
>noticed a very curious puzzle.
>
>Whenever I start up the Mathematica, my SLIP will start running too.
>Any ideas?

Apparently, Mathematica was written to query the network for the existence
of another kernel. At that time, SLIP emulators were not in widespread use
so it didn't cause a problem. I understand version 2.1.3 fixes this. This
is the gist of what I was told via email from Wolfram.

--
"Against supidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain"