Re: Bug ListPlot?

  • Subject: [mg2767] Re: Bug ListPlot?
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 01:47:33 -0500
  • Newsgroups: wri.mathgroup

In article <4alt86$qah at dragonfly.wri.com>, wself at viking.emcmt.edu (Will
Self) wrote:

> A student of mine wanted to get plots of some data points.  He wanted
> to show the points large and connect them with lines. . Here is what he
> did:
>
> data={{1,1},{2,3},{3,2}}
>
> LogLogListPlot[data,GridLines -> Automatic,
> PlotStyle -> {PointSize[0.04]}]
>
> LogLogListPlot[data,GridLines -> Automatic,
> PlotStyle -> {PointSize[0.04]}, PlotJoined -> True]
>

> In the first plot, he got large points but in the second plot the large points
> were absent.  He is doing this on a PC.  I tried this also on a Macintosh and
> got the same behavior.  Would someone try it on somethihng else and see
> what happens?  Would you call this a bug in ListPlot?
>
> Will Self

Since there are no longer any Point primitives in the plot when
you set PlotJoined -> True there is nothing for the PlotStyle
directive to act upon.

In[8]:=
    data={{1,1},{2,3},{3,2}}
Out[8]=
    {{1, 1}, {2, 3}, {3, 2}}

In[9]:=
    Needs[ "Graphics`Graphics`"]

In[10]:=
    pl1 = LogLogListPlot[data,GridLines -> Automatic,
        PlotStyle -> {PointSize[0.04]}]
Out[10]=
    -Graphics-

In[11]:=
    pl2 = LogLogListPlot[data,GridLines -> Automatic,
        PlotJoined -> True]
Out[11]=
    -Graphics-

We can test for the presence of Point primitives using FreeQ:

In[12]:=
    FreeQ[ pl1, Point[___]]
Out[12]=
    False

In[13]:=
    FreeQ[ pl2, Point[___]]
Out[13]=
    True

You can work around this by simply combining the plots

In[14]:=
    Show[ pl1, pl2]
Out[14]=
    -Graphics-