Re: your mail

  • Subject: [mg2736] Re: your mail
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 1995 19:16:13 -0500
  • Newsgroups: wri.mathgroup

Tim Mooney wrote:
> )I tried Mathematica on an UltraSparc, the results were very good.
> )They were somewhat better than PowerMac 9500.
> If they are only `somewhat better' than a machine with a 32 bit partially
> emulated operating system, then the Ultra Sparc isn't as good as I thought...
> :-)

Since the Mathematica kernel is pretty much identical
on all platforms it makes almost no toolbox calls at
all (and then only for file I/O). The performance, or
lack of it, of the MacOS on Power Macs makes almost no
difference to the performance of the Mathematica
kernel on Power Macintoshes.

Ian Collier
Technical Sales Support
Wolfram Research, Inc.
tel:(217)-398-0700     fax:(217)-398-0747      ianc at
Wolfram Research Home Page: