Re: OS2 Version, Use of Virtual Memory?

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1585] Re: OS2 Version, Use of Virtual Memory?
  • From: chang at theta.math.wsu.edu (Ching-Mo Chang)
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jul 1995 04:28:12 -0400

    Ezra> Could someone please explain how Mathematica for OS2 uses
    Ezra> virtual memory?  Is it capable of swapping out active blocks
    Ezra> of memory?

    Ezra> For example, suppose I am creating a large Table using
    Ezra> Solve.  Is this version capable of swapping out intermediate
    Ezra> results so that the calculation can be completed?

OS/2 can use all of your available disk spacs as swap file. So find
a drive with lots of spacs available and point the swap file to that
drive. But I ever solve a system of equations in an alpha machine with
128mb memory still got out of memory error. I am thinking put a 1 giga
empty hard drive in my computer, point my swap file to there and let
mathematica for os/2 to solve that problem again, see what happen.

--
Ching-Mo Chang <chang at theta.math.wsu.edu>