Plotting 4d Data

Iom trying to visualize 4d data in mathematica ( 3 space coorinates and 1
velocity coordinate ). While it is easy to draw planes colored according to
magnitude with Plot3D[{func,Hue[ColorFunc]},...], I have yet to find a way
to plot e.g. a solid cube colored like this from a 4d matrix.

Has this been done before, or do I have to start from scratch by
calculating all the visible planes and arranging them in Mma plotting
space?

Thanks for any help
lars