Re: Rule writing for handling temperatures

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg1519] Re: Rule writing for handling temperatures
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 21:34:09 -0400

In article <3s5kiv$5hs at>, REECE_D
<REECE+_D%A1%Electromagnetic_Sciences at> wrote:

>    I have what I think is a simple question that I can't figure out.  How
> do I write a set of rules that I can apply to an expression to convert
> between the temperature scales?  I want to be able to change 0 dC to 273 dK
> and 459.67 dR  as well as realizing 1 dC/W is the same as 1 dK/W which is
> 9/5 dR/W.  Any ideas would be appreciated.
>    The braoder question is has aonyone written the sets of rules necessary
> to handle both metric and english units?
>    Thanks in advance,
>    Daryl

Miscellaneous`Units`, one of the standard Mathematica packages
distributed with every copy of Mathematica, is already able to
convert between degrees Celsius, Centigrade, Fahrenheit, Kelvin
and Rankine as well as performing many other unit conversions.

    ConvertTemperature[ 135, Kelvin, Rankine]

It would not be hard to extend it to deal with any other temperature
scales if you needed to do so.

I hope this helps.

Ian Collier
Technical Sales Support
Wolfram Research, Inc.
Tel (217) 398-0700        Fax (217) 398-0747        ianc at
Wolfram Research Home Page