Re: counting number of rules in rule base

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1569] Re: counting number of rules in rule base
  • From: Count Dracula <lk3a at kelvin.seas.virginia.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 1995 02:49:46 -0400

In Message-ID: <3sd94t$n5n at news0.cybernetics.net>
Article 880 of comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica
gaylord at uiuc.edu (richard j. gaylord) writes:

> without doing ?symb and then counting the number of rules that come up on
> my monitor screen [i keep losing count around 125 or so], how can i ask
> Mathematica for the number of rules associated with symb?

My previous message about this had a typographical error.
Two variable names, "f" and "symb", appeared in the
Module numrules, but only one name should have been used.
The Module should have read:

numrules[f_Symbol] :=
  Module[{inf},
   inf = StringToStream[ToString[Definition[f]]];
   Length[Select[ReadList[inf, Record], StringMatchQ[#1, StringJoin[ToString[f], "[*"]]&]]
         ]

 Levent Kitis           lk3a at cars.mech.virginia.edu    lk3a at kelvin.seas.virginia.edu
 University of Virginia Department of Mechanical, Aerospace, and Nuclear Engineering