RE: BarCharts and vertical axes

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg509] RE: [mg496] BarCharts and vertical axes
  • From: "LAUER Marie-Reine 154851" <LAUER at dtp.cea.fr>
  • Date: 06 Mar 95 14:30:37-0000

Dear Mathgrouper, I am facing with the problem to draw bar charts of
quantities whose value is close. BarChart put the beginning
of the vertical axis at 0 and automatically squeezes the differecences I
need
on the contrary to emphasize. Does anybody has had the same problem ?

The feature I like in BarChart is the possibility to have non numerical
abscissas. In other case I would have used FilledListPlot (* In
Graphics`FilledPlot *) after having properly
preprocessed my data:

data={-0.825, -0.925, -0.825, -0.825, -0.675, -1.025, -0.875,

  -0.975, -0.975, -0.825};

cl=Frequencies[data]; (* In Statistics`DataManipulation` *)
delta=0.025;
bottomvalue=0.5;

preprodata=Flatten[{{#[[1]]-delta,bottomvalue},
 {#[[1]]-delta+delta/100.,#[[2]]},
 {#[[1]]+delta-delta/100.,#[[2]]},
 {#[[1]]+delta,bottomvalue}}& /@ cl,1];

ListFilledPlot[preprodata,PlotJoined->True,PlotRange->{0,5},
Axes->False,Frame->True]

In my BarChart-histogram I would also put the possibility to: i) label each
bar; ii) color each bar according to a list of weights (this is useful if
you want to plot some fitted values which have different regression
coefficients and you do not want to lose this informations).

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestion.

Riccardo Rigon, Ph. D.

Civil Egineering Department
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843
ph:  (409)-845-0335
fax: (409)-862-1542
e-mail: rrigon at zeus.tamu.edu

That is a little function which may help you, regards

barchart [listfrequency_,step_]:=
                       Show[Graphics[{Map[{Rectangle[{#[[1]],0},
                                                {#[[1]]+step,#[[2]]}]}&,
                                       listfrequency]}],
                                   Axes->True,

 AxesOrigin->{Min[Map[#[[1]]&,listfrequency]]-step,  0}]

Marie-Reine LAUER
DTP/SECC
Centre d'Etudes Nucleaires de Grenoble
17 rue des Martyrs