Re: SOUND!

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.NET
  • Subject: [mg517] Re: [mg506] SOUND!
  • From: Leigh Smith <Leigh.Smith at UC.Edu>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 1995 09:37:46 -0500 (EST)

>  I have an analogous trouble as Haiduke Sarafian. I have got a 486DXII 66MHz,
>  12M RAM, 540M winchester, CD drive, sound blaster, etc, etc... My Mathematica
>  version is  2.2.1 for Windows (I use Windows 3.11 for workgroups). I cannot
>  use the sound capabilities of Mathematica. When I get it start up, I
>  receive the message that it was not able to find the file SNDBLST.DLL. From
>  where would I have to obtain this file, and where I have to put it? Is it
>  a Mathematica, Windows or Soun Blaster's file?

I could be wrong about this, but I believe that versions before v. 2.2.2 (the
one which uses mathlink) the sound capabilities would only work with a true
sound blaster card and used a separate dll to drive it.  Essentially v. 2.2.1
bypasses the multimedia capabilities of Windows.  Versions 2.2.2 and 2.2.3 seem
to work fine.  I have an orchid 32 bit wave soundcard.

I would recommend upgrading to v. 2.2.3 as soon as possible.  It is a lot less
buggy, and faster as well.

Regarding the OS/2 version, I have not used it myself, but I believe that
presently only the kernel is available.  They have not yet finished the drivers
to enable you to use the windows version of the notebook front end to hook into
the OS/2 kernel.  Another possibility is to use v.2.2.3 as a32 bit app under
Windows NT, but you would need at least 32 MB dram.

Hope this helps.

---Leigh

Leigh M. Smith				leigh.smith at uc.edu
Department of Physics