lining up pictures in GraphicsArray

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1031] lining up pictures in GraphicsArray
  • From: abraham at ast.cam.ac.uk (Roberto Abraham)
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 05:55:28 -0400

Hi, I want  to generate a bunch of rather complicated plots
and then line them up so that they abutt each other in a GraphicsArray
environment (ie. with a GraphicsSpacing of zero). The difficulty seems
to be that it's next to impossible to align the graphics accurately
(they have to line up accurately so that the ticks on the frames match).
I want to have a constant axis ratio in the frame surrounding the data,
however the  axis ratio set with the AxisRatio option takes the text
in the frame labels and text denoting the major tick marks into account,
so the only way I can get things to line up us to remove all the
text from the plots altogether. This obviously  won't do for a plot
I want to submit for publication. I've consulted  Tom Wickham-Jones'
wonderful new book ("Mathematica Graphics"), and he  seems to suggest
in section 10.2 that what I want to do is pretty tough with the current
version of Mathematica, but before giving up I thought I'd check to
see if somebody out there can suggest a solution to this problem.
My current kludged solution is to plot the graphics without frame labels
or text labeling the tick marks (using the ExtendGraphics`Ticks
package from the "Mathematica Graphics" book, which is just the
ticket for making the ticks line up, and is easy to modify so as
to omit the tick labels), and then export the output to Illustrator
where I label the ticks by hand. A major hassle...

Cheers,

Bob

--
Roberto Abraham