The Case of the Mystery Option

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1056] The Case of the Mystery Option
  • From: Jack Goldberg <jackgold at math.lsa.umich.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 14:40:46 -0400

Hi Group;
 In Roman Maeder's excellent book Programming in Mathematica, on
page 100 is an example using the option to Transpose.  (Up until
this moment, I didn't even know there was an option with Transpose,
but never mind this.)  In essence,  Transpose[mat,{1,1}] returns
a list of the diagonal entries of the matrix  mat.  With the
exception of this one example, I have never seen an illustration
of the use of this option.  So I ask you kind souls to answer a
few questions for me:

(1)  Is it true that the 2nd line on page 132 of The Book is a
misprint?  It says that  Transpose[list,n] interchanges the top
level with the nth level.

(2)  From the error messages I have received while experimenting
with this option, I have deduced that the option is a permutation.
It permutes levels?  Is this correct?

(3)  How does one explain Maeder's example?

(4)  I guess that besides the Maeder example, the only other uses
appears in Tensors?

  As usual, your help is more than appreciated.

Jack