Re: Normal Probability Plots

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg1093] Re: Normal Probability Plots
  • From: villegas (Robert Villegas)
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 1995 21:31:31 -0400

> 	Someone I work with is looking for a plotting routine that
> generates what he calls probability paper.  If you plot the cdf of a
> Gaussian distribution on this paper it is supposed to appear as a
> straight line.
> 	I have checked the WRI web site and found nothing
> matching this.  If anyone has a notebook or routine like this could
> you please post a copy.

Hello Charles,

A little over a year ago I wrote a function to do this in response to a
tech support query.  This function has recently gone up in the Technical
Support branch of our home page.

The Technical Support FAQ is at

and the NormalProbabilityPlot function is at

It's no full-fledged package since it was just a response to a query,
but it is a useful little function and might give a direction to go in
if you need more sophisticated things.

I recommend browsing the Technical Support FAQ in general while you're

Best regards,