NeXT Mma 2.0 as Front-End to Mma 2.2?
- To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
- Subject: [mg1165] NeXT Mma 2.0 as Front-End to Mma 2.2?
- From: Jonathan.Rice at cs.tcd.ie (Jonathan Rice)
- Date: Sat, 20 May 1995 02:43:25 -0400
- Organization: TCD, Computer Science
I'm trying to use Mathematica 2.0, running on an old NeXT workstation, as the front-end to a Mathematica 2.2 remote kernel on a Sparc. It sort of works, but I'm having two problems: * There's some sort of flow-control problem whereby the notebook won't display results until I click the mouse in it. * Graphics don't work at all. The frame is popped up, but it's always blank. First of all, am I setting up the connection right? I do it by putting an entry in my .rhosts file on the Sparc to allow me to rsh in, and then in Mma on the NeXT, setting the "Shell Command" in "Edit Connections" to "rsh machinename mathremote". Is this the right way to do it? I am guessing that the real problem here is that I'm using old 2.0, and that there is no magic to make the two versions talk together properly. But I'd love to be wrong! -- Jonathan Rice