Operator Definition

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg958] Operator Definition
  • From: pitts at mayo.EDU (Todd Pitts)
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 03:04:09 -0400

I would like to define a shift operator similar to the derivative
for continuous time that is already built into Mma. i.e.

Shift[ how far ][ expression head ] [ variable(s) to which shift should be applied ]

I would also like to have it enjoy a relationship to something called S sort of
like D[] and Derivative[][][].  Any ideas on how to define it or where I could
go to learn how to do it right?  I have the standard Mma reference book by
Wolfram but haven't (as of yet) been able to extract the proper way to get
what I need.

Thanks in Advance,
Todd Pitts