Re: Operator Definition

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg985] Re: Operator Definition
  • From: wagner at bullwinkle.cs.Colorado.EDU (Dave Wagner)
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 07:34:42 -0400

In article <3nv9j4$9g8 at>,
Todd Pitts <pitts at mayo.EDU> wrote:
>I would like to define a shift operator similar to the derivative
>for continuous time that is already built into Mma. i.e.
>Shift[ how far ][ expression head ] [ variable(s) to which shift should be applied ]
>I would also like to have it enjoy a relationship to something called S sort of
>like D[] and Derivative[][][].  Any ideas on how to define it or where I could
>go to learn how to do it right?  I have the standard Mma reference book by
>Wolfram but haven't (as of yet) been able to extract the proper way to get
>what I need.
>Thanks in Advance,
>Todd Pitts

You can make definitions like thes in a straightforward way:

    q[r[s, t, u]]

Definitions such as these are called SubValues. SubValues[f] returns a
list of such definitions, much like UpValues or DownValues (except that
it's undocumented):

    {Literal[f[a_][b_][c__]] :> a[b[c]]}

		Dave Wagner
		Principia Consulting