3D Cluster Detection

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg2413] 3D Cluster Detection
  • From: Fergal Shevlin <fshevlin at>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 16:04:45 -0500

I have a list of Real 3D points, each coordinate having a value
between 0 and 2 Pi. Within this list there are several
"clusters" of points, i.e. the coordinates agree to several
decimal places. Each cluster is quite distinct from the other,
for example when I view the points with
I see 4 points, despite the fact that there are hundreds in
the list.

Can anybody suggest a means of automatically detecting the
means or modes of these clusters?

Thanks in advance,
Fergal Shevlin                    Phone: +353-1-6081209 Fax: 6772204
Dept. of Computer Science
Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland.         Fergal.Shevlin at