Positive[a] = True ???

I assume that this topic has been addressed already, and I think I actually
remember reading something about it before. However, I have not been able
to find anything in the archive.

Anyway, here is my problem:

The book says that it is possible to declare a variable as beeing positive
without assigning any numerical value to it. However, when I try it in version
2.2.2 on a PowerMac, Mathematica rejects the assignment with a message
regarding the tag protection.

For example:

IN>> Positive[a] = True;
OUT>> Set::write: Tag Positive in Positive[a] is Protected.

What is the problem?

Thank you.

Frank Domokos