Re: Formating output of Modules

  • Subject: [mg2248] Re: [mg2214] Formating output of Modules
  • From: ptk at imada.ou.dk (Peder Thusgaard Ruhoff)
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 05:55:42 GMT
  • Newsgroups: wri.mathgroup
  • Sender: daemon at wri.com ( )

On Mon, 16 Oct 1995, Scott Herod <sherod at boussinesq.Colorado.EDU> wrote:

> I've got an annoying little problem that I was hoping someone can
> help me solve.  I have a Module, NDelaySolve, which returns a
> numerical approximation of solutions to differential-delay equations.
> In order to make the output look as much like that of NDSolve as
> possible, I have the module return something like
>
> {{x[t] -> g[t], y[t] -> f[t]}}
>
> where g[t] and f[t] are often big Which[] functions.  I would like
> to reduce the output by creating a DelaySolveFunction[][t] which
> looks something like an Interpolating function.
>
> Here is an example:
>
> In[4]:=
>   Format[spam[x_]] := 1/x;
> In[8]:=
>   spam[a_] := Module[{},
>     pop = Table[a,{3}]
>   ];
> In[9]:=
>   spam[8]
> Out[9]=
>   {8, 8, 8}
>

> This Format isn't doing what I want.  I would like spam[8] to return {8,8,8}
> but to print the output as 1/8.  If I get this one to work, I could solve
> my real problem.
>
> Scott Herod
> sherod at newton.colorado.edu

Dear Scott,

The basic problem is that your function spam returns an object with head
List. Thus, you should define a formatting rule for the built-in object
List and not spam. However, in general, it is not a good idea to change
the behavior of built-in functions. Instead, consider the following
version of your program

    In[1]:= spam[a_] :=
                 Module[{},
                     spamresult[Table[a,{3}]]
                 ]

Now, the output from spam has head spamresult, e.g.

    In[2]:= spam[8]

    Out[2]= spamresult[{8,8,8}]

You can now define a formatting rule for objects with head spamresult

    In[3]:= Format[spamresult[{x_, y___}]] := HoldForm[1/x]

    In[4]:= spam[8]

            1
    Out[4]= -
            8

    In[5]:= FullForm[%]

    Out[5]//FullForm= spamresult[List[8, 8, 8]]

If you need the list, just use First on the result, e.g.

    In[6]:= First[%4]

    Out[6]= {8, 8, 8}

I hope this will help you.

Good luck,

Peder

Peder Thusgaard Ruhoff                     Phone: (+45) 66 15 86 96, ext. 2411
Dept. of Mathematics and Computer Science  Fax:   (+45) 65 93 26 91
Odense University, Campusvej 55            Email: ptk at imada.ou.dk
DK-5230 Odense M, DENMARK

  "It is important for him who wants to discover not to confine himself
   to one chapter of science, but to keep in touch with various others."
                                                            - Jacques Hadamard