Spherical trig application
- Subject: [mg2209] Spherical trig application
- From: ui at uribe.demok.co.uk (Roger Uribe)
- Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 15:53:36 GMT
- Approved: email@example.com
- Distribution: local
- Newsgroups: wri.mathgroup
- Organization: Wolfram Research, Inc.
- Sender: daemon at wri.com ( )
Given a roughly convex polygon on the Earth's surface - typically 1000 miles "diameter" and 3 - 12 vertices. I need to know whether a given point is in it or not. There are about 10,000+ such points to test so I need an effecient method. Any ideas, or know of any software that will do something like it. I guess defining the enclosing circle and discarding any points outside that would get rid of most of them. I don't want a lesson in spherical trig, I'm no expert but I know enough, it's the methods and short cuts I'm after. Thanks Roger.