Bottom line on remote kernel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3834] Bottom line on remote kernel
  • From: Kevin Kubarych <KJK at Brown.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 00:30:55 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi all,

I did my homework: read back issues of this news group, read the WRI
info on their web site, and after all that I still can't connect to a
remote kernel.

I have mma for students (Mac), got all the stuff I need etc. Set it all
up according to the instructions, and I can get the terminal to connect,
but after it logs in (correctly) the prompt comes up, and it just sits
there.

I'm logging onto a SGI Indy which runs a shell that gives the following
prompt:

"corey 1% "

In deed, the login prompts are different from the shell prompts. I get
the standard login prompts:

username:
password:

My life will be suitable enhanced if I can do my sick calculations on
this remote box because the sys admin is completely clueless about
mma--didn't know what the "front end" was. So I can get the best of both
worlds here.

Please don't tell me to read the book (I don't have it) or the online
docs--I already have, and I just hang. Yes, mma hangs, after I manually
logout of my unix account.

I will appreciate any help!

Kevin
--
| Kevin Kubarych       |  | Do unto others...           |

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====