Re: matrix algebra

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3724] Re: [mg3683] matrix algebra
  • From: garciajb at ucunix.san.uc.edu (Juan Garcia Velo)
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 02:51:56 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <4ka52b$sai at dragonfly.wolfram.com>,
Robert Pratt  <rpratt at math.unc.edu> wrote:
>Sometimes partitioned matrices are called block matrices, and that's what
>Mma calls them.  Check out BlockMatrix in the standard package
>LinearAlgebra`MatrixManipulation`

I did. Thanks for your help.
The problem is that it is very cumbersome to work with it, until
you actually define what the partitions are. For instance, if you say
a=BlockMatrix[{c,d},{e,f}], without saying what c,d,e, and f are, you get
a=AppendColumns[AppendRows[c,d],AppendRows[e,f]]. If you define some more
partitioned matrices and then you, say, multiply them, you don't get the
results in the form of a partitioned matrix, but as
AppendColumns[...].AppendCols... etc.
until, again, you actually define the partitions as matrices. Not exactly
the way I'd like it, because it would be extremely difficult to see any
result this way.

Juan

Juan Garcia-Velo                                     garciajb at ucunix.san.uc.edu
Aerospace Engineering, ML 70
University of Cincinnati                       My .sig file does not accurately
Cincinnati, OH 45221, USA                      reflect the owner's creativity.

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====