Re: The << command on a Mac???

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg5533] Re: The << command on a Mac???
  • From: von_Aschen at (Harald von Aschen)
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 01:02:32 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Martin Gagne <mgagne at> wrote:

> I want to use the Get (<<) command on a Mac with Mathematica 2.2.2.
> It works if my files are in the Mathematica's directory. But if
> they aren't, I don't know how to get them.
> On Unix I use this command:
>   <<../directory/

You should remember that on the Mac OS the "/" separator between
directories is ":". Use e.g.

<<"System:Desktop Folder:Buchhaltungssachen:my file.txt"

"System" is the name of the volume, Desktop Folder the desktop (here you
can use the first level directory of your volume), Buchhaltungssachen a
directory on the desktop and "my file.txt" a file in it.

Another method is: You can set your current working directory to your
prefered directory.

You get the list of directories which are in your search path with:

Say e.g.

    SetDirectory["System:Desktop Folder:Buchhaltungssachen"]

With this command you set your current working directory and append it
to the search path ($Path).

If you want to remove the last entry of $Path you say

But be carefully. With SetDirectory[...] you append "..." to your $Path.
With ResetDirectory[] you remove the last entry in $Path. If you use
ResetDirectory[] multiple you can remove more entries... (which might
cause errors on Unix machines).

Kind regards, Harald
Harald von Aschen
eMail: von_aschen at