mathematica for linux

Hy folks,

I consider to use mathematica for linux on my PC. So can somebody share
his/hers experience with mathematica for linux to me?

1) does the front end run under X-windows?

2) what advantages/disadvantages does mathematica for linux has?

Your help would be very appreciated

many wishes from Austria

Wolfgang