Integration of exp(-az)*sigma(t-to)*dz ??

Hello you all,
I have to solve the following integration, who can help me or give me
some hints?
I(t) =
     A * Integral(from z=zo until oo)  exp(-a*z) * sigma(t - to) dz
Where:

My actual problem is to find a way to integrate the step function sigma.
Is there any possiblities to approximate it to a mathematical function.
Or is there any rule for its integration that I am not aware of it.
I have already looked in some Math books but I didn't find it.

PS1:	Please let me know whether there are also other newsgroups dealing with
Ps2:	Please send me your responses via e-mail, since I don't read this

Thanks in advance

Farzad