Re: Inverse Functions

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg3239] Re: Inverse Functions
  • From: John Tanner <john at>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 03:01:27 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <4fpdob$f9r at>, Julian Charko
<jcharko at> writes
>As a relatively inexperienced user of Mathematica, could someone inform me
>how to get a closed-form expression--in terms of elementary functions if
>possible--for the inverse of the function
>                           f(x) = x^x
>Since the function is one-to-one over its domain, it does have a
>mathematical inverse.
>Thank You,
>Julian P. Charko, P. Eng.

Because all variables are assumed as complex, there are inherently
multiple solutions: for example x=I and x=-I.

However, even for real cases there are multiple solutions: for example
x=0 and x=1 (and points in between).

I wish you luck in trying to disentangle this: you may get a specific
solution for a given range but there seems not to be a general solution.
More info required: you have our interest.

I hate this 'orrible computer :  from -  John Tanner
I really ought to sell it     :  home -  john at
It never does what I want     :  $$$$ -  100344.3241 at
but only what I tell it.      :  work -  john.tanner at