non-transparent background

I have tried in vain to figure out a way to add some text with a non-transparent
background to a 3d graph in mathematica. Without a background of its own the text is
made illegible by the complex grid behind it. The text is input as:

Graphics3D[{GrayLevel[0],Text["XXX",{1,-1,-1}]}];

My only idea so far is to try an inverse font. I don't have an inverse font
available, so I haven't tried that. Any better ideas would be appreciated.

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====