Re: [Q] Erfi - what is it?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3350] Re: [mg3328] [Q] Erfi - what is it?
  • From: Peder Thusgaard Ruhoff <ptk at imada.ou.dk>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 03:24:41 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Michael C. Herron <pherron at sphinx.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

> I used mathematica to solve an integral that I could not myself do
> analytically.  The output contained a function Erfi[].  What is
> Erfi[]?  I am familiar with the error function and its complement
> (Erf[] and Erfc[] in mathematica), but I do not understand Erfi[].
> The function does not appear to be in the manuals that I have seen,
> either.
>
> If someone could translate Erfi[] or provide a reference, I would
> appreciate it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Michael

Dear Michael,

You can get this information using Mathematica

Mathematica 2.2 for SPARC
Copyright 1988-94 Wolfram Research, Inc.
 -- Motif graphics initialized --

In[1]:= ?Erfi
Erfi[z] gives the imaginary error function erfi(z) == -i erf(i z).

Best wishes,

Peder

Peder Thusgaard Ruhoff                     Phone: (+45) 66 15 86 96, ext. 2411
Department of Information Technology       Fax:   (+45) 65 93 26 91
Odense University, Campusvej 55            Email: ptk at imada.ou.dk
DK-5230 Odense M, DENMARK

  "It is important for him who wants to discover not to confine himself
   to one chapter of science, but to keep in touch with various others."
                                                            - Jacques Hadamard

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====