Re: [Q] How to include PostScript into a mma notebook

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3132] Re: [Q] How to include PostScript into a mma notebook
  • From: tlm at ameslab.gov (Dr. T. L. Marchioro II)
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 22:48:56 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Olivier Michel writes
> I would like to include some external PostScripts drawings into a
mathematica notebook.
> That is, Postscript produced from Gnuplot or from the Macintosh
world. The problem
> is that each time I <open special> a Postsript file, set the cell
type to Graphics and
> evaluate as Postcript, all I get is an error (No memory) and nothing
displayed.

> Any hints ? (I use mma both on Unix stations and Mac).

It is unlikely that the notebook is capable of displaying your PS
code.  Although Mma uses postscript for its graphics, it uses its own
special dialect and definitions, and the notebook front end is *not* a
full PS interpreter. Hence, graphics generated by outside programs
will often not display properly (I've had this experience with Xfig
graphics many times).  Perhaps someone from WRI can comment on the
specific case of Mac Gnuplot.

What the notebook usually can do, however, is display bitmapped
graphics in a variety of formats.  So you will have to convert your
graphics to a supported bitmapped form (e.g. with the pbmplus
utilities) and then paste them in.

I have been told on several occasions that the much heralded "new
front end" will resolve these problems, just one more reason why so
many of us continue to wait for its appearance.

Hope this proves helpful --- Tom
--
Dr. Thomas L. Marchioro II      Two-wheeled theoretical physicist
Applied Mathematical Sciences   515-294-9779
Ames, Iowa 50011                tlm at ameslab.gov
Project Coordinator: Undergraduate Computational Engineering and
Sciences
http://uces.ameslab.gov/

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====