Re: Student v. Full version of Mathematica

  • Subject: [mg3300] Re: Student v. Full version of Mathematica
  • From: dwarf at wam.umd.edu (Dwarf)
  • Date: 25 Feb 1996 16:27:10 -0600
  • Newsgroups: wri.mathgroup
  • Sender: daemon at wri.com

David Harrison (harrison at helios.physics.utoronto.ca) wrote:
: In article <4g58r4$rb0 at dragonfly.wolfram.com>,
: Sarah Lonberg-Lew  <sarah at phage.elsie.brandeis.edu> wrote:

: >I am looking to invest in Mathematica for my home computer and would like
: >some advice about whether or not to buy the full version.  I was told
: >that the student version is severly handicapped to the point where it
: >will not access the math co-processor ...

: That is true.

Um, I have to disagree.  I have no timing benchmarks to back this up, all
I have are the notes on the box of the student version I purchased two
months ago:

Version 2.2 For Microsoft Windows

System Requirements-
* Windows 3.1 or greater
* Requires 386 or higher CPU
* Utilizes Numeric coprocessor if available
 . .

And on the back of the box:

What you get
Unlike student versions of other programs, Mathematica for students is a
full function version of Mathematica.

I am taking a course in the application of Mathematica to problems in
science and engineering, and I haven't noticed any real timing difference
between my 486-100 at home and the pentium 90s on campus.

: --
: David Harrison                             | "The senses do not lie, only
: Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Toronto         |  they do not tell the truth."
: Inet: harrison at faraday.physics.utoronto.ca |              -- Mach
: Tel: 416-978-2977  Fax: 416-978-5848       |

+----------------------------+   The way your heart sounds makes all the
+----------------------------+   http://www.wam.umd.edu/~dwarf/home.htm