Mma 2.23 and Windows 95

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg2906] Mma 2.23 and Windows 95
  • From: "Harry A. Smith" <hasmith at>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 02:17:50 -0500

I have just upgraded from the standard version of Mma 2.2 (no
coprocessor support) to the "enhanced" version for $145. Wolfram told me
that the standard version was no longer supported. Well I just installed
the enhanced version expecting improvement in performance. Well guess
what? The enhanced version is *slower* than the standard version! No
kidding! The test I use for timing is the following code:
The timing is as follows:
Pentium 75 - 2.8 s
Pentium 120 - 1.9 s

Pentium 120 - 2.8-3.5 s (highly variable)

All timings were run under Win 95 with 16 MB memory with screen
conditions set to be the same and graphing options se the same.

What gives here - why is my co-processor version slower? I installed the
Win-95 patch and the system runs well except for the following: (a) I
cannot interrupt the calculations, (a) Timing doesn't work when I do
loops anymore - I need this feature to publish my research.

Did I do something wrong? Can I fix this? Will The version of Mma for
Win 95 be faster? I am very frustrated - please help if you can.
Harry A. Smith
Professor of Biological Sciences
Tallahassee Community College
hasmith at
"If you're not simulating, you're not stimulating!"