Re: Mathematica does not know where are my files. Help!!!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg2943] Re: Mathematica does not know where are my files. Help!!!
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 03:21:22 -0500

In article <innclip4d20cg$ejt at dragonfly.wri.com>,
sfdiop01 at homer.louisville.edu (Serigne F. Diop) wrote:

> [ Clipped from :comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica ]
>
> Hi guys:
>
> I have been toiling at this one for while. Now I am turning to the gurus
> out there.
>
> I had a couple of macros for a Quality Control module that I was coding in
> Mathematica.  It worked fine and I save them in a seperate file called
> "myqctools". But I wanted to call this file in another notebook, PROOOT,
> Mathematica would try to execute the << myqctools command
> and display "Could not open myqctools".  I moved the macro file on the
> same folder as the Mathematica application, but no juice.
> I tried another way using the SetDirectory command, but no juice.  I also
> tried coding the thing as a package, but I am afraid that I did some
> wrong, Mathematica could not still find it.  This is on a PowerMac 8500.
>
> My questions:
>      -where should I have external files for Mathematica to see them?
>      _how to create a package, and where to store a newly created one for
> Mathematica to see it.
>
> Thanks to anyone who'd help....
>
> Falou.....

Provided your files are in a folder or directory that is on
the Mathematica search path then you should be able to read
it in using Get (<<).

To find out what directories or folders are on Mathematica's
search path evaluate:

    $Path

in Mathematica.

You can also add folders and directories to $Path.

On a Macintosh you can add a folder called (for example)
MyFiles at the root level of a hard disk (again for
example) called Macintosh HD to $Path with the following
command:

    AppendTo[ $Path, "Macintosh HD:MyFiles" ]

which you could place in your init.m file so that it
is evaluated every time you run Mathematica.

If you require further help with this I would suggest
that you contact Wolfram Research Technical Support
(support at wri.com) directly.

I hope this helps.

--Ian

Ian Collier