  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg2968] Triangulation Problem
  • From: techie at io.org (david hoare)
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 03:09:39 -0500

OK...Here's what should be an easy one - - well not for me...

I am looking for the trigonometric / algebreic  formulae one would use
to triangulate an unknown position, knowing 3 fixed points and the
respective distances to the unknown point. (make sence?)
Oh - in 3 dimensional space.

And actually, the reverse operations would be handy too...ie: given a
known central point, AND 3 other fixed points, how to find the lengths
of the lines required to meet at that first point, in 3D.

It's for a program I'm writing, and it's been a while since I've done
this sort of thing - - my math has left me!
Any Help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks,
David.
techie at io.org