Re; Changing Directories

Hi! I've been having problems with my extraction and reading of data
files. I want to get mathematica to read a file in a certain directory,
but when I use SetDirectory I can't get it to recognize or change the
directory. I also have tried to use the directory name in the
<<directoryname`file` part but to no avail. Does anyone have an example
of a syntax that works? Many Thanks.
Andre