Linux & Math. Symbolic Toolbox for Matlab

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4319] Linux & Math. Symbolic Toolbox for Matlab
  • From: Thorsten Spott <thorsten at stud.unit.no>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 00:50:07 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Has anyone got the Mathematica Symbolic Toolbox for Matlab to work under
Linux? Mathlink now works fine with the examples included in the
Mathematica package, after I got some hints from Mathematica support,
which can also be found on
http://www.wolfram.com/support/MathLink/Conflicts/Unix/linux.html

The problem with the interface to Matlab seems to be that Mathematica
wants the a.out-format, whereas Matlab goes ELF. Point 1. of the
web-page mentioned above indicates that the compiler needs the
"-b i486-linuxaout"-option to include the MathLink-libraries correctly.
Since for the compilation of the Symbolic Toolbox Matlab's cmex-script
is used rather than Mathematica's mcc, I defined
CFLAGS="-b i486-linuxaout" in the corresponding line of .mexrc.sh, which
sources the cmex-script. The result are compile-time error messages
like:

math41.o(.text+0x76): undefined reference to '_mexErrMsgTxt'
math41.o(.text+0x17a7): undefined reference to '_mexAtExit'
and so forth.

If I omit the CFLAGS-option, the programme compiles fine, but when I
call up the "math"-routine from Matlab, I get messages like:
Unable to resolve symbol MLOpen
Unable to resolve symbol MLPutFunction
Unable to resolve symbol MLPutFunction
and so forth,
which are obviously due to compiling the programme into an ELF-binary.
Does anybody have a hint how to solve that problem?

Many thanks!

Thorsten

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====