Re: Help: Column/Row Vector

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg4333] Re: [mg4253] Help: Column/Row Vector
  • From: Chee Lim Cheung/MS/SP_SF <CheeLC at>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 00:57:53 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi Joh,

Note that column and row matrices are special cases of matrices which are lists
of lists in Mathematica. In your case, the column matrix would be

x = {{x1}, {x2}}

which is a 2x1 matrix (each sublist inside the list signifies a row) and the
row matrix would be

y = {{y1, y2}}

which is a 1x2 matrix. You can see the output using MatrixForm.

The above procedure for writing column and row matrices are quite general and
applies to any number of elements.

I hope this helps.

>From: khinast @ @ INTERNET @ SP_SD
>Subject: [mg4253] Help: Column/Row Vector

I have two vectors x=(x1,x2) and y = (y1,y1). How can I persuade Mathematica
that e.g. x is a column vector and y is a row vector, which is kind of
important for their multiplication .
I've studied the help page for hours, with no result. So could
someone please help me. My email address is:

khinast at