Re: Abort options in Windows

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4376] Re: Abort options in Windows
  • From: rubin at msu.edu (Paul A. Rubin)
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 07:31:12 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <4r0oli$2va at ralph.vnet.net>,
   Gerry Flanagan <flanagan at bwr.com> wrote:
->Sometimes after hitting an iterrupt on the Windows version of
Mathematica, I
->get the following text printed in the notebook cell
->
->Your options are:
->	abort (or a) to abort current calculation
->	continue (or c) to continue
->	exit (or quit) to exit Mathematica
->	inspect (or i) to enter an interactive dialog
->	show (or s) to show current operation (and then continue)
->	trace (or t) to show all operations
->
->How can I actually do any of these things.  The keyboard doesn't respond
->things like "a" for "c".  Normally, things are so fouled up at this point
->end up disconnecting from the kernal, but I'm still curious. - Gerry F.
->
I get this too sometimes, and I suspect it's a bug.  I think it occurs if I
click the abort icon on the toolbar more than once (either inadvertantly or
due to impatience).  It can take a while for the kernel to react to an
abort, if indeed it ever will (I think I've thrown it into a coma more than
once).  I, too, wind up disconnecting the kernel.  In any event, unless it
gives you an input panel (rather than printing in the cell), I don't think
you can answer.  Guess it's Mma's version of a rhetorical question.

Paul

* Paul A. Rubin                                  Phone: (517) 432-3509   *
* Department of Management                       Fax:   (517) 432-1111   *
* Eli Broad Graduate School of Management        Net:   RUBIN at MSU.EDU    *
* Michigan State University                                              *
* East Lansing, MI  48824-1122  (USA)                                    *
Mathematicians are like Frenchmen:  whenever you say something to them,
they translate it into their own language, and at once it is something
entirely different.                                    J. W. v. GOETHE

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====