Re: Vector field plotting on Mathematica ??!

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg4120] Re: Vector field plotting on Mathematica ??!
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 01:38:42 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <4ojdde$5i8 at>, biggus at (Jeff) wrote:

> Hi,
> I keep seeing these mathematica graph of vector fields (you know, with the
> arrows, and sometimes even with colors for more information) but I have
> yet to find the damn reference in a Mathematica book on how to do it. How
> how how? And why would the Mathematica manual have a picture of something
> they won't show me how to do? To torture me, I assume!   :^)
> Please please please help me - it's driving me crazy.
> This should be a pretty standard graphing procedure.
> (I'm trying primarily to plot vector fields in electrodynamics.)
> -jeff

2D and 3D vector plots are defined in Graphics`PlotField` and
Graphics`PlotField3D` respectively, two of the standard
packages distributed with every copy of Mathematica.

They are documented in the "Guide to Standard Mathematica Packages"
Technical Report (pp 183-191).

Here is a simple example taken from the documentation:

    Needs[ "Graphics`PlotField`"]

    PlotVectorField[ {Sin[x], Cos[y]},
                {x, 0, Pi}, {y, 0, Pi}]

I hope this helps.

Ian Collier
Wolfram Research, Inc.
tel:(217) 398-0700   fax:(217) 398-0747    ianc at
Wolfram Research Home Page: