double-extended floating point numbers?

I need to be able to read and write 80-bit "long double" floats
(a.k.a. extended double 80-bit IEEE floating point format) to
interface other floating hardware with Mathematica.

I just found out that Mathlink for Windows does not correctly
support the long double format, due to a bug that WRI tells
me won't be fixed any time soon.

The Binary Files package doesn't support long doubles either,
but looks like it could be made to with a little hackery.
Has anyone successfully done this, or found another way
to get Mathematica to talk this floating point format?

Thanks in advance.

-John

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====