double-extended floating point numbers?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg4157] double-extended floating point numbers?
- From: John Bunda <bunda at centtech.com>
- Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 13:24:02 -0400
- Organization: Centaur Technology, Inc.
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
I need to be able to read and write 80-bit "long double" floats (a.k.a. extended double 80-bit IEEE floating point format) to interface other floating hardware with Mathematica. I just found out that Mathlink for Windows does not correctly support the long double format, due to a bug that WRI tells me won't be fixed any time soon. The Binary Files package doesn't support long doubles either, but looks like it could be made to with a little hackery. Has anyone successfully done this, or found another way to get Mathematica to talk this floating point format? Thanks in advance. -John ==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====