Re: Context Names Question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3973] Re: [mg3919] Context Names Question
  • From: Allan Hayes <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 01:48:09 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Xah Lee <xah at best.com>
in [mg3919] Context Names Question
writes

> Suppose I have two packages, TrochoidPlot and TrochoidShow for
> example. Both packages use the option name RotationRange for
> several of their functions.
> Shadowing of RotationRange will occur after loading the second
> package.
> Is there some code one can execute before or after loading so the
> option RotationRange can be recognized in functions from either
> package?

Xah:

A simple solution is to create the option RotationRange in the
System context, usually in your usage messages for the packages:

System`RotationRange::usage = "RotationRange is an option for the
packages TrochoidPlot and TrochoidShow ...."

You may prefer different wording, for example a general form like
"RotationRange is an option for several packages ..."

With more code you can arrange for the usage messages for several
packages to cummulatively add their information to that already
stored on the option.

Example:
	BeginPackage["Xah1`"];
	System`opt::usage = "Message 1";