Bug in eignevalues?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg4016] Bug in eignevalues?
- From: super295 at service1.uky.edu (Robert G. Buice, Jr)
- Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 02:12:45 -0400
- Organization: University of Kentucky
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
This is what I did: 1. I created a 10,10 matrix of random numbers 2. I found the correlation matrix of the above matrix 3. The correlation matrix is symmetrical so all it's eigenvalues should be real 4. Mathematica returns some imaginary eigenvalues. I tried it symbolically and the symbolic anser has imaginary parts too...? Is this a bug? I thought that a symmetrical matrix could only have real eigenvalues and yet sometime (depending on the random numbers pick in step 1) I get imaginary eigenvalues. This is a big problem and I need to get it fixed. Other software packages never return imaginary eigenvalues so what's going on? Please email me, my news server is flakey.... Thanks. -- Robert G. Buice,Jr super295 at pop.uky.edu Analytical Spectroscopy Group Phone:(606) 257-5175 College of Pharmacy University of Kentucky PGP Key: http://kerouac.pharm.uky.edu/buice/rgbuice.html ==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====