Re: What is the best General Mathematica Book?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3886] Re: What is the best General Mathematica Book?
  • From: tlm at ameslab.gov (Dr. T. L. Marchioro II)
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 23:21:55 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

 Kale Beckwitt wrote:
> Hello--
> I have just started using Mathematica seriously and I was wondering if
there
> was some consensus as to what the best 3rd party mathematica book is
for both
> general shell usage and advanced calculations?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Kale Beckwitt
> The University of California at Berkeley
> kaleb at uclink2.berkeley.edu

I strongly recommend Shaw and Tigg, "Mathematica, Getting Started,
Getting it Done" which is a "project based" introduction.  Wonderfully
useful.

Given that you are at a University, I assume you are a scientist, and
hence you might want to check out another good book, that of Bahder,
which I believe is titled "Mathematica for Scientists and Engineers" or
something like that.

Hope this helps -- tom

--
Dr. Thomas L. Marchioro II      Two-wheeled theoretical physicist
Applied Mathematical Sciences   515-294-9779
Ames, Iowa 50011                tlm at ameslab.gov
Project Coordinator: Undergraduate Computational Engineering and Sciences
http://uces.ameslab.gov/

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====