What is Euler phi in Rotate3D[obj, phi,theta,psi]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3909] What is Euler phi in Rotate3D[obj, phi,theta,psi]
  • From: adbened at alumnae.caltech.edu ( Alto D. Benedicto)
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 1996 23:12:43 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Why is it that: Rotate3D[object3D, Pi/2, Pi/2, 0] doesn't show the
same picture as Rotate3D[Rotate3D[object3D, 0,Pi/2,0], Pi/2, 0, 0]?

It seems that the angle PHI doesn't behave according to the
definition on p.113 of Guide to Std Mma Pkg.   As far as I
understand it, the definition of Rotate3D[obj, phi, theta psi] is
Rotate3D[Rotate3D[Rotate3D[obj,0,0,psi],0,theta,0],phi,0,0].
(THETA and PSI are clockwise rotation wrt X and Z axis).

I'm sure I'm missing something.  THANK YOU in advance for any
clarification.

Alto   adbened at aruba.ccit.arizona.edu

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====