implementation of cos,sin,tan,etc.
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg3904] implementation of cos,sin,tan,etc.
- From: nfogelso at ix.cs.uoregon.edu (Nicholas S Fogelson)
- Date: Sun, 5 May 1996 23:11:51 -0400
- Organization: University of Oregon Computer and Information Sciences Dept.
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Does anyone know exactly how MM calculates cos,sin,etc. I know that its not by expansion of a Taylor series because it makes the answer too darn fast to be doing that (ie - if you went through the taylor calculation of sin1000000 it would take quite a few seconds before it started outputting. Just doing sin1000000 will cause instant output). I know that the MM implementations are not public, but I thought maybe somebody knows this anyway. Also - does anyone know how an HP calculator does these calculations? Is is the same way? -- Nicholas Fogelson University of Oregon Department of Computer and Information Science nfogelso at cs.uoregon.edu (503)683-7885 ==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====