arguments

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5117] arguments
  • From: Guy Delamarter <delamart at holly.pas.rochester.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 22:04:32 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am using FindRoot to solve a system of nonlinear algebraic
equations.  The number of equations and variables depends upon a
number input at the beginning of the notebook.  Since the equations
are specified to FindRoot in a single list, there is no problem adding
more equations to the system - just append them to the initial list of
equations.  However, I am not clear on how one adds new variables that
FindRoot is to solve for.  This is because they must each be given as
separate arguments.  For context:

FindRoot[{eqtn1,eqtn2,...},{var1,guess},{var2,guess},...]

As you can see, I may not simply build a list of variables dynamically
and hand it to FindRoot because a list is a _single_ entity or
argument.  FindRoot requires a sequence of arguments (multiple
entities) to specify the variables.

Ideally I would like a way to have a list be interpreted as a sequence
of arguments - but I have found no clear way to do this in the book
and I am wondering if it may not be possible.

Does anyone have a way to do this kind of thing?  Or am I just being
foolish and there are better ways to specify the problem and solution
in Mathematica?

Thanks in advance,
Guy Delamarter

Guy Delamarter 	 <delamart at callisto.pas.rochester.edu>