Re: Mathematica and PPP

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4893] Re: Mathematica and PPP
  • From: krywicki at bucknell.edu (Jason Krywicki)
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 00:17:33 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <52fcer$n12 at dragonfly.wolfram.com>, chenrich at monmouth.com
(Christopher J. Henrich) wrote:

>I have a very silly problem with Mathematica on my Mac.  When its time
>for the kernel to start, it insists on dialing out on my modem.  The only
>way to prevent this is to restart with the Mac PPP extension disabled.
>Half-measures usually lock up the system.

Hi Christopher. The "problem" you are discribing is actually Mma checking
the network to make sure that two kernels aren't running with the same
password. Versions up to 2.2.1 do this. The latest version 2.2.2 only
checks the network if you are connected. The only way to get around this is
to:

   1.) Take out MacTCP
   2.) Upgrade to 2.2.2

I would advise against option 2 because version 3.0 will be out very soon
now and it is going to phenominal. If you are interested take a look at

         http://www.wolfram.com/look/

I hope this helps!

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====