Re: Re: Mathematica and PPP

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg4945] Re: [mg4893] Re: Mathematica and PPP
  • From: Lee Larson <lmlars01 at>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 02:02:13 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Jason Krywicki, krywicki at recently typed

>In article <52fcer$n12 at>, chenrich at
>(Christopher J. Henrich) wrote:
>>I have a very silly problem with Mathematica on my Mac.  When its time
>>for the kernel to start, it insists on dialing out on my modem.  The only
>>way to prevent this is to restart with the Mac PPP extension disabled.
>>Half-measures usually lock up the system.
>Hi Christopher. The "problem" you are discribing is actually Mma checking
>the network to make sure that two kernels aren't running with the same
>password. Versions up to 2.2.1 do this. The latest version 2.2.2 only
>checks the network if you are connected. The only way to get around this is
>   1.) Take out MacTCP
>   2.) Upgrade to 2.2.2

There is a better solution. Upgrade to a newer version of PPP on your
Mac. For example, FreePPP 2.5v2, which I use, has a check box to disallow
programs from opening the PPP connection. You can get it from

Lee Larson   <>   <>   (502)339-8758
Mathematics Department, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292 USA